Swedish Medical Group is looking for a Histology Technologist \(0\.75FTE, Day shift\) at the Swedish First Hill campus in Seattle, WA\.
In this position you will:
- Handle all specimens received in the Histology department, catalog patient specimens into the laboratory computer, and perform gross sectioning dictating their descriptions\. Assist pathologists or physicians in the collection of specimens from patients\. Assure proper specimen labeling requirements are met
- Monitor quality control results; take immediate and proper action when controls are unacceptable\. Follow defined procedures with only supervisor or pathologist approved modifications or deviations\.
- Complete all instrument function verification, maintenance, and document according to procedure in Histology area\. Ensure that equipment defects and malfunctions are reported and repaired\.
- Train Laboratory personnel including Laboratory Assistants, NRT's and other Histotechs in Histology procedures\.
- Participates in writing/ updating Operating Procedures\. Recognize and troubleshoot both routine and complex problems\. Assist other Histotechs and staff with technical problems\. Answers phones, providing results when requested or forwarding the call as required\. Monitors and maintains supply inventories following established protocols\.
Required qualifications for this position include:
- HTL or HT \(ASCP\), with college degree required or equivalent to certification requirements
- Experience in Histology
- Ability to stand for 95% of the day throughout an eight or ten hour shift
- Ability to move freely around work stations
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- Proficiency with histology applications and instrumentation
- Good communication skills and ability to exercise independent judgment and decision making in problem identification and resolution
- The ability to read and interpret orders/patient information from requisitions, computer screens and computer print\-outs
- The ability to communicate effectively in the English language in person, by phone and in writing
- Ability to work under pressure due to multiple interruptions, staffing shortages and/or instrumentation problems
About Swedish Medical Group
Swedish Medical Group \(SMG\) is a successful, performance\-driven division of Swedish Health Services, the largest non\-profit health provider in the Greater Seattle area\. The SMG network includes more than 900 providers across more than 130 primary care and specialty care clinics\.
We offer a full comprehensive range of benefits — see our website for details
Our Non\-Profit Mission: Improve the health and well\-being of each person we serve\.
Since 1910, Swedish has been a hallmark of excellence\. Swedish has grown to become the largest non\-profit health provider in the Greater Seattle area with 11,000 employees, more than 2,800 physicians and 1,700 volunteers\. Swedish is committed to being the best place to receive care, and also the best place to work\. We reward our employees with generous compensation and benefits, individualized orientation, education and a supportive work environment\. Swedish is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer\. Swedish does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, protected veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law\.
Job Category: Lab \(Medical Technologist, Medical Lab Technologist\)
Req ID: 152398