Providence is calling a Cancer Registry Abstractor /Coder to Providence St Peter Hospital in Olympia, WA. We are seeking a flexible On Call/ Day shift employee to support the Cancer Registry dept.
The Cancer Registry Abstractor/Coder is responsible for the collection of data from hospital patient medical records and physician office medical records. The Abstractor/Coder performs diagnostic, treatment, procedure, and follow-up coding by utilizing computerized and manual coding methodologies appropriate for the year of diagnosis for a case.This is an On Call / Day Shift opportunity.
In this position you will:
- Code all diagnoses, treatments, and procedures according to the appropriate coding system
- Complete patient case abstracts utilizing mandatory electronic and manual coding requirements and hospital defined data elements ensuring the cohesiveness, accuracy and totality of the patient data system is achieved.
- Enter Patient Follow-Up information in the Cancer Registry database
- Answer the Cancer Information Phone Line and refers complex callers to appropriate staff
- Assists with projects as needed by compiling information, preparing information packets, performing word processing, filing, etc.
Required qualifications for this position include:
- High School diploma or equivalent
- 2 quarters of equivalent of college-level courses in Human Anatomy and/or Physiology
- Course Certificate or formal training in Medical Terminology
- Certificate from a National Cancer Registrars Association Accredited Formal Education Program Curriculum or be a Certified Cancer Registrar (CTR) or be CTR eligible
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- Two years of Hospital-based Cancer Registry Coding Experience
About the clinic you will serve.
Providence St. Peter Hospital is a 390-bed, not-for-profit regional teaching hospital. Located in Olympia, WA, St. Peter offers comprehensive rehabilitation, medical, surgical and behavioral health services. We have been ranked as one of the top 100 hospitals and as one of 10 premier healthcare employers in the nation and have recently achieved the coveted Magnet®" recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center®. Our hospital rests on a 173-acre campus, much of which includes natural forest and preserved wetlands that maintain a healing environment for patients and staff.
We offer a full comprehensive range of benefits - see our website for details
As people of Providence, we reveal God's love for all, especially the poor and vulnerable, through our compassionate service.
Providence Health & Services is the third largest not-for-profit health system in the United States. Providence employs more than 82,000 caregivers (employees) across a five-state area; AK, WA, MT, OR, and CA. Our facilities include 34 hospitals, 600 physician clinics, senior services, supportive housing and other health and educational services. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Schedule: On Call
Job Category: Billing / Insurance
Req ID: 145790